Sunday, January 20, 2008

Welcome!

Welcome to the Gaslamp Digital blog! My name is Eliot Sirota. The focus of this blog will be on creating animated short films. Admittedly, there are several other blogs covering this topic, but since I'm working on my own animated short I thought this might be a good way to explore and exchange ideas with others with similar interests by raising topics that are, in my opinion, of importance to the craft, both artistically and technically.

My short is called "Jabberwocky" and is based on the poem of the same name by Lewis Carrol, from the book "Through the Looking Glass and what Alice found there." It is a slow going work in progress due to time constraints and the desire to get everything just right, but it is also a labour of love. I will occasionally post some concept art or maybe even an animation test or two, but I don't want to give to much away just yet... sooner or later I might need to recruit a little help as well. Making a film, even a short, is not as easy as some might suspect!

I want to hear from others who also are making, or have made animated shorts and hear about their experiences, challenges and triumphs. I will also throw out some recommendations for shorts that inspire me. Some are lighthearted, like those from Disney or Pixar, while others are darker and show that animation isn't just for children, such as "The Mysterious Geographic Explorations of Jasper Morello" or the highly disturbing "Fallen Art".

So please join me in exploring this unique medium. Hopefully we can all benefit from one another and bring our ideas to fruition! Stay tuned for my next post... "What exactly is a 'Short'?" Talk to you soon!

No comments: